While most callers to your home are genuine, some are not.
Bear the following in mind, if you suspect that an ‘official’ caller may not be genuine:
- Bogus callers often pretend to be from ‘the water board’ but do not let them in – there hasn’t been a ‘water board’ for more than 30 years
- Water company employees may need to call at your door unannounced but genuine representatives will be wearing a uniform, carrying a company identity card and driving a branded vehicle
- All genuine utility company officials would expect you to check their identity and won’t mind waiting while you do so
- If you have any doubts, don’t let the caller in. Telephone the company to confirm they are genuine. Use a number from a utility bill and not one the caller gives you
- Set up a password system with your utility providers. This is a free service.
Bogus workmen can be very persistent in persuading you that urgent work is needed to your property. Never agree to have work done by someone who turns up on your doorstep, say no.
- Fit a door chain
- Keep front and back doors locked, even when you are home
- Do not leave money, wallets and keys in easy reach of doors
- Lock your back door before opening your front door. Thieves sometime operate in pairs, one ringing the front door while the other enters at the back of the house
- Before answering the door, stop and think ‘am I expecting anyone?’ Look through a spy hole or window to see who’s there
- If you decide to open the door, use the door chain
- Never leave the front door open, close it if you need to go back into another room for any reason
- Check the callers identity
- If in doubt, keep them out!
More information about Doorstep Crime can be found on the Surrey Police website.
Our discreet bogus caller alarm can be used if a stranger requests or tries to force entry. Find out more on our Alarms and Sensors page.
Nuisance telephone calls
Are you being bothered by nuisance telephone calls? The Telephone Preference Service is a free opt-out service for individuals who do not want to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. Contact 0345 070 0707 to find out more.