Tips to stay and warm in the winter:
- Inside and outside, wear thin layers of clothing to trap air.
- Wear a hat, indoors too if you feel you need it!
- Don’t be tempted to keep a window open at night, breathing cold air can increase the risk of chest infections so close them and air the room at another time instead.
- Don’t be tempted to sit for more than 1 hour at a time, keep moving even if it’s just around the house to keep your body active.
- Wear shoes with good grips outside to avoid trips and slips and potentially long hospital stays.
- Could you or a relative or friend arrange to get your shopping delivered in particularly cold or icy weather?
Think about security and potential fraudsters on dark nights. Don’t open your front door unless you are confident you know who is the other side, use a door chain and be prepared to say no thank you and firmly close the door if you feel threatened or pressured by an unknown caller. In an emergency always dial 999.
Be vigilant about telephone and internet fraudsters too. Do not give personal details, bank details or money to someone you don’t know.